London College staff poisoned at work

Nine teaching staff employed by Havering College of Further and Higher Education have been awarded £104,404 in damages after being exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning over a two year period.

The exposure occurred while the staff were working in the college’s hair and beauty department in premises shared with Sawyers Hall College, a local secondary school.

The payout has been made by Havering College, as the former operator of the now-closed Sawyers Hall College in Brentwood; Essex County Council, as the owner of the premises and landlord after August 2012; and the governing body of Sawyers Hall College.

Sums of between £8,500 and £16,000 each were awarded to the nine claimants: Joanne Davies, Sadie Collins, Sarah Ramsay, Kelly Rodway, Clare Brewer, Jessica Westley, Kerry Townsend, Catherine Cullen and Lesley Chantler.

A six-day hearing at Central London County Court heard how the nine employees had been exposed to carbon monoxide between late 2010 and November 2012.